Normally I eat a very boring lunch. Atleast at work. A cup of tea, some pieces of fruit, that’s it. When I have some time left at work I’ll get some bread, some cheese and/or ham and make myself a sandwich. When I’m at home I’d like to put a bit more effort into my lunch, go to the supemarket, get some ingredients and make something nice. This is what I made last time.
It’s quick and easy make. But watch out with the ricotta mixture, it’s a real filler but brings a lot of freshness to the dish.
For the toast and ricotta mixture:
- Something to make toast out of, I used ciabatta, you could use anything you like
- Olive oil
- Ricotta cheese
- An egg
- A lemon
- Some dried chili flakes
- Salt and pepper
For the mushrooms:
- Olive oil
- White wine
- Some chicken stock, or vegetable stock if you’re a vegetarian
- First off, we’ll start with preparing the toast with the ricotta mixture. Pre-heat the oven at 200 degrees Celcius. Put the ricotta in a bowl, Add the egg, some lemon zest and lemon juice, the dried chili flakes, some pepper and some salt. I won’t give you any measurements. A big part of cooking is tasting. And you should taste for yourself if it is to your liking. Now mix it all together until nice and smooth.
- Get your bread and put a little olive oil on the bread, not too much. Now put some ricotta mixture on the bread. Also not too much, it’s a real filler. Put the bread with the ricotta mixture in the oven for about 10-12 minutes. The ricotta mixture will get a bit firm, the toast will get nice and crunchy.
- During the time the bread is in the oven you can start with the mushrooms. Slice the mushrooms in the desired pieces. I made small slices. But you can also chop them in half or quarters, anything you like. Finely chop the onion and the garlic.
- Add some olive oil to your frying pan and put in the onion and the garlic. Fry the onion and the garlic and add the mushrooms. Add some pepper and not too much salt, the stock will also add salt to the dish. The mushrooms will shrink a lot during the frying process so put in enough mushrooms. When the mushrooms are fried deglaze with some stock and white wine. Let it boil down until everything is nice and moist. Now add some butter to make it a bit creamier and some finely chopped parsley for flavour.
- Now it is ready to serve. Get your toast, put some mushrooms on and garnish with some chopped parsley. Enjoy!
Always clean your mushrooms with a brush, don’t use water. Mushrooms are like sponges and will get soggy when cleaned with water.
This took me no more then 15 minutes. And it’s something else then the normal toast with a fried egg. Delicious, quick, is there anything more you want for lunch?